Monday, April 22, 2013

Good to be back - really?

For the last two years, I have been spending quite some time out of India on grand-parental duties. In the process, I started getting fully acclimatized to the living styles in California and London. Slowly but steadily I developed liking for the new environs and their demands. I found that I did not miss much of my Indian life as almost everything we consider as exclusive to Indian life were available easily. This includes new movie releases simultaneously with India. I enjoyed new contacts, new places and new routine as well. I also learnt new things like baby-sitting, vegetable cutting, utensil wash and similar chores to give some relief to my dear spouse. I enjoyed the weather, mostly pleasant. I admired clean surroundings, clear ozone, law abiding people, courteous officials, honest shops, transparent trading etc., all of which I have been searching in my country for over 50 years. When I returned, nothing had changed of course. The sweltering heat, the unscheduled power cuts of 10 to 15 hours a day, the dust, the in-disciplined chaotic traffic, the high decibel sounds in public places etc, all greeted me. i am still confused whether it is really good to be back! Of course I have no option for the present.

No comments: